Sunday, July 15

Tunneling Books for Children of All Ages

The world of Harry Potter has finally sucked me in. I put up quite a fight and resisted this for years. Only last year was Gordan able to convince me to watch a Harry Potter movie, to which I submitted scornfully. Of course I was intrigued. We ended up watching all of them in a few days. Then I forgot about it for awhile, with the occasional repeat marathons. Just recently I saw the fifth movie in the local theatre (twice, because the first time I couldn't understand what anyone was saying). I've ordered books six and seven, and I'm reading Gordan's copy of book five.

Actually I think a large part of the reason I'm more comfortable with Harry Potter is because I spent January of this year paying tribute to Tolkien. It might have been more than January. I read all of the Lord of the Rings again while in India, including some parts that were removed from the original edition, if I remember correctly. And I read a very good biography of Tolkien.

I'd like to keep reading kid's books, I've decided. I want to revisit "The Five" series (which Harry Potter reminds me of distinctly, plus I don't think I ever read the whole series), and "The Borrowers". There's also a novel about a boy who's adopted by some semi-magical homeless men involving escalators and trains and manhole covers. (I sincerely hope that's not another novel my subconscious has invented and disguised as a memory, because I want to reread it.) Incidentally, do you notice a pattern of tunneling in my favorite children's books? Of course you don't, but I just did. Anyway.

I think this would be a very good exercise. And a delightful one. I'd also like to read more writer's journals--my father suggests Sylvia Plath or John Cheever.