Monday, November 12

Cornbread Pudding

After making cornbread last night, we had a lot of cornbread left over. Actually, we'd eaten all the crust, since that was the yummiest part. To be perfectly honest, the center of the cornbread was not completely baked--you will recall that my husband forgot to follow the recipe, and by the time I checked in with him he was happily squishing the batter through his fingers (that's one way to mix when you forgot to melt the butter) and saying "Now what do I do with it?" So, as I was saying, it wasn't perfect cornbread. It was delicious and beautiful though, with all those unblended corn kernels. So I saved the rest for cornbread pudding--I'd been craving bread pudding for weeks.

I used another recipe from Cook's Illustrated, the one for bread pudding. I do think this recipe could be improved upon, but I'm going to have to make it a few more times before I think of how.

Bread Pudding

2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
4 eggs
1 egg yolk
3/4 cup sugar granulated
2 1/2 cups milk
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons bourbon
1 tablespoon nutmeg, ground
1/4 teaspoon salt
12 ounces bread (about 1/2 loaf), cut into 1 1/2 -inch square pieces (about 8 cups)
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for greasing pan

Mix the sugar and cinnamon and set aside. Preheat the oven to 325 and grease a 9x13 inch baking pan with butter.

Whisk the eggs, yolk, and sugar together in a large bowl. I found the sugar to be slightly excessive, although I generally prefer less sugar--next time I'll decrease it slightly. Add the milk and cream and whisk. I actually used 4 cups "cereal cream" and 1 cup milk, since the local stores don't have heavy cream. Add the vanilla extract, bourbon, nutmeg, salt, and whisk.

Add 6 cups of bread to the liquid, reserving 2 cups of bread, and let sit for 20 minutes.



Pour this into the baking dish. Scatter the reserved bread on the surface of the mixture. Pour the butter into this exposed bread, and sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the whole surface.

Bake for 45 minutes. When it's done, the recipe recommends that you let it sit for 45 minutes--but we could only manage 15, and it was perfect then.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Sasha, I just wanted to say that I am enjoying reading your blog and I especially like your comments about your husband. He seems I very cool guy, he does.

    ReplyDelete