Wednesday, April 2

First Little Bird





I hand sewed this little bird yesterday!

To my surprise, it turned out quite well in the end. I had to restart about three times though... the first time I'd cut the body pieces wrong (both on the same side, thus one would have had the cloth inside out)... the second time I'd pinned the belly piece to the head and back, instead of the neck and bottom... and the third time I mangled the sewing. After that it was clear sailing. Here's what I learned:

  • If I'm going to do any embroidery, such as eyes, it's best to do that when the piece is mostly, but not entirely, sewed up... but not yet stuffed.
  • It's better to sew a little further in from the edge so that it's well tucked in.
  • There's no need to make small stitches on this project.
  • While the quilt batting does basically work as a stuffing, I have to cut it up into pieces, so it's not a great long term solution, especially if I want to make something a little bigger.
  • And finally, I have to pay some attention to the direction of the ribbon, otherwise it will hang in a divebombing position:


No comments:

Post a Comment