Thursday, August 21

Moon Nights



My life here is quiet and regular. As I've embraced that, it has become a very happy and peaceful life. In the process, my spiritual experiences seem to have receded. While I was ambivalent about this, it was not at the forefront of my thoughts. As time has passed, I've grown comfortable with this new state. It fits with a message I got some time ago, that the 'fireworks' around a (spiritual) experience are not the substance of the experience, and that an experience may be important and yet not come with those fireworks. Also, I trust that if and when I have a need for that in my life, it will come back to me in the suitable form for that time.

Recently I have felt a nudge to do something more. Gordan and I have had this desire for some time, in particular to do things regularly that were meaningful to both of us, but without a clear sense of how to translate it into practical action. I did read "The Pagan Family" for ideas, reading my favorite parts out loud to Gordan. We'd forgotten about the subject over the last two months, and then I brought up the question again on Friday. The answer came to me immediately this time: observe the full and new moons.

This was perfect for us. It's not a daily practice; that would be too much. Yet it's fairly frequent and regular, so that it can be habitual. It's personal, and very open to creative interpretation. I did some further reading and found that moon phases, primarily full moons, are celebrated as Esbats by Neopagans. I checked the calender to see when the next full moon would be: Saturday, the very next day. It felt like a somewhat hectic sign of connection.

What would we do? I was not sure. It came together, some of it feeling a bit silly, and began to refine itself. We buy moon-like flowers. We have a relatively opulent dinner. (Saturday was a hot, slow day, so 'opulence' was greatly modified.) Perhaps a dessert of sweetened ricotta, an old fashioned cheesecake. We may read something--perhaps afterwards is best. This time, Gordan read a prayer to the moon, that it may be kind to sailors.

Gordan went to bed early. I finished watching 'Philadelphia Story'. Then I went out and stood on the porch, in the bright light of the full moon. It seemed to vibrate in front of me, brimming over with the light of the sun. Everything felt alive and bare in the illuminated night. I knew that this is what a full moon celebration is really about: standing in the light of the moon, standing beneath it, with nothing between us, looking up at it. I thought briefly that the moon is in me, as we have always evolved under the moon, its presence is a part of us, we are made in its image or in its light. I asked the moon, so known for its changes, to help me in my changes and cycles as I become who I am. There was a sense that these changes are now linked with the waxing and waning phases of the moon.

I am going to take the approach that the full moon lasts three nights. The second night, as the most perfect full moon, is the peak. But the first and third nights are also full moons, and times for celebration. We are now nearly halfway to the new moon, which is on August 30th.

Now that I think of it--at some point in the middle of 'Philadelphia Story', Katherine Hepburn's character told one of the male characters about a Chinese poet (Li Bo) who drowned trying to kiss the reflection of the moon. "He was drunk, of course."

1 comment:

  1. The Philadelphia Story is my favorite movie! Lydia oh Lydia say have you met Lydia OH LYDIA the tattooed lady!

    ReplyDelete