Monday, August 18

Speedy Foray Into Speed Cleaning

I mentioned recently that I was going to try the "Speed Cleaning" approach to housecleaning. They have a set of rules which outline their method. But this is how I think of the changes I'm making:

  • Gordan and I will (usually) both houseclean together, at the same time, for the main weekly housecleaning. I'll still do a miniclean three days later, flylady-style... (this is where the kitchen counters and stovetop, and bathroom sink and toilet get cleaned). There's a neat approach where housecleaning roles are divided into four: kitchen, bathroom, dusting, and vacuuming. With two people, you both start out doing the kitchen and bathroom respectively. Whoever finishes first then takes on either dusting or vacuuming, whichever you find to take longer. That way your cleaning time is more closely matched.

  • Clean in a circle, usually from left to right, and from top to bottom; then clean the floor.

  • We're going to clean with aprons and trays full of the appropriate tools. This is an important part. The idea is that with your primary tools in your apron, and your secondary tools in your tray, you never have to take time away from cleaning or your clockwise circuit around the room. But it takes time to track down some of these tools. Gordan convinced me to just order the more obscure tools from the website. I did find an apron pattern that seems to be based on the speed cleaning apron, but I don't want to wait until I've sewed an apron or two to be able to do this.

  • I'm updating my homemade cleansers. I got my previous recipes from the cleanser recipe thread on mdc (namely the window/all purpose and the anti-mildew spray), and they worked well--along with diluted or straight baking soda, white vinegar, and hydrogen peroxide. But the speed cleaning thing got me thinking about both streamlining these, and making them a little more potent and effective, so I requested a bunch of green cleaning books from the library. The very first one that arrived has such great recipes, I may just stick with these. They're from Easy Green Living, by Renee Loux.


    • heavy duty liquid cleaner (replacing what Speed Cleaning calls red juice)

      1/2 cup white vinegar
      1 tablespoon citrus cleanser concentrate
      1/2 teaspoon liquid dish soap or castile soap
      1 1/2 cups warm water
      1/2 teaspoon total antiseptic essential oils

      glass cleaner (blue juice)

      1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
      1/2 teaspoon liquid dish soap or castile soap
      2 cups water
      8 drops essential oils

      This is basically the same as my current multipurpose cleaner. I may experiment with other recipes, however, because it doesn't clean our porch doors very thoroughly. So far I've dealt with this problem by not cleaning the porch doors, and I'm looking for a better solution.

      disinfectant (bleach)

      1/4 cup cheap vodka
      1/2 cup 3 percent hydrogen peroxide
      1 cup water
      5 drops grapefruit seed extract (optional)
      15 drops total antispetic essential oils (optional)

      (Do not shake the bottle or the hydrogen peroxide will go flat.)

      tile & tub cleaner (tile juice)

      While the books has recipes for pastes, that may be too much work to make afresh each time. I'll try powdered baking soda, and if that doesn't work I'll just buy tile and tub cleaner.

      floor cleaner

      2 gallons warm water
      1/2 cup white vinegar
      1/4 cup citrus cleanser concentrate
      2 tablespoons liquid dish soap
      1/2 teaspoon antispetic essential oils (optional)

1 comment:

  1. hey - this is really useful. I'm going to start making today :-) xxL

    ReplyDelete