Thursday, October 30

Good Mag Is Hard To Find

Normally, I don't subscribe to magazines. I will buy a few, occasionally, when I'm traveling. While visiting my family this summer, on a whim I bought a copy of Body + Soul Magazine. I read it through, and was quite impressed. (By the way, the website is not very representative of the magazine.)

While reading, I often am amused at how successfully and simply they have pegged my demographic--women, interested in health, the environment, natural living, and happiness. While I'm sure there is plenty of research and market-think behind this choice, I'm sure it also came about because many of the women and men involved in the magazine have moved in this direction themselves. The magazine is really quite grounded and largely gimmick-free, I find. They don't need gimmicks, of course, because they're covering real subjects of real interest with real information.

I got the latest issue today, and the sheer quality of it really makes me happy. (And I'm damned picky.) I have been keeping the last few issues, because even though I've read them once, it's actually of value to read them over again--even just a few weeks later. Yet I could happily declutter them by passing them on--knowing that I am giving something of real value to the friends or strangers who take them.

As a side note, you know what else I'd like to subscribe to? A publication that was all about "fitness motivation." I want to be spammed with the benefits of being physically fit, regularly and frequently. I don't mind if there's lots of repetition so long as they vary the phrasing and layout a bit, and throw in just a bit of variety now and then. In fact, maybe repetition would be a good thing. I could really use a frequent and regular reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment