Wednesday, December 10

High-ish Calorie Smoothie

Do you have the same breakfast, day after day? I usually do. For most of this past year, it was steel cut oatmeal with berries and nuts. After that, I needed something lighter... and drinkable... a smoothie! Since then it's been all smoothies, all the time.

First I had to buy a new blender--our (very) old one didn't blend well, and was starting to smell peculiar no matter how well you washed it. We got the "Braun MX2050 PowerMax Blender", which was top rated by both Consumer Reports and Cooks Illustrated... I figured that had to be a good sign. For some reason it isn't actually available on Amazon... I got it from Pickering Appliance, the only Canadian seller I could find. I haven't really challenged this blender, so I don't feel I can give a meaningful review, but I'm certainly very happy with it so far.

Smoothies are great for losing weight, but I'm actually supposed to be gaining weight. So I thought for awhile about how to make the smoothie higher calorie. My conclusion: add more banana, nuts or seeds, and oil. I haven't gotten around to the oil yet; this is my basic smoothie, which makes exactly one full glass, and truly needs no sweetener:

4 spoonfuls of plain yogurt
1 splash of water or coconut juice
1 banana (or 2)
1 smattering of pumpkin seeds (or sunflower seeds... using more makes this taste a bit like nut candy or halva)
1 smattering of frozen blueberries
1 smattering of cereal flakes, optional, only if preparing the night before so it soaks overnight (ie crushed grains, not boxed cereal)
1 chunk of peeled ginger, optional, especially if your tummy has been off

Mmmm!

And then, with a quick rinse of the blender, it's all clean and ready for the next smoothie.




I know that a lot of people are more interested in lower calorie smoothies, so what then? Definitely keep it to one banana only, and a relatively small amount of nuts or seeds. Also I'd check out veggie smoothies, inspired by "Eat To Live," something I might try for my husband after the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment